Weserrenaissance Schloss Bevern is one of the most prestigious buildings of the Weser Renaissance.

It was built from 1603 to 1612 on the instructions of Statius von Münchhausen as a symmetrical four-winged complex surrounding a square inner courtyard with a water moat, two bridges and a castle garden.

Since then, the Castle has lived through an ever-changing fate. Despite two marriages and twenty children, the lineage of Münchhausen became extinct in 1676. In 1652 the widow left the noble estate in the hands of duke August the Younger, who was the founder of the famous library in Wolfenbüttel and converted the Castle into a hunting lodge.

The Castle experienced its heyday under the patronage of the duke’s youngest son, Ferdinand Albrecht I. who was given the Castle as compensation. The ducal side-lineage of Brunswick-Bevern that had thus come into being ruled the dukedom of Brunswick from 1734 on.

In the further course of the Castle’s history its use became more and more profane.

 

 

The architecture of Weserrenaissance Schloss Bevern is a special quality of the Weser area at the time of the late German Renaissance between the Reformation and the Thirty Years’ War. Influenced by the late Northern Italian Gothic period and the early Dutch baroque period, the architectural style of the Weser Renaissance shows some typical details, as for example the "Utluchts", "welsch" gables (decorated curved pediments), octagonal stair towers and ashlar frames with notched patterns (decorating ashlar sandstones).

The complex of Bevern Castle is extraordinary for several reasons. On the one hand, the notched patterns that decorate the half-timbering of the inner courtyard return at the wood; a technique that had never been there before. On the other hand, the Castle’s architectural concept is in general unusually clear and distinct.

The term “Weser Renaissance” was defined by art historian Richard Klapheck in 1912. It describes an independent regional architectural style at both sides of the Weser that developed between 1520 and 1620.

The Weser Hills are one of the most important architectural landscapes of the Renaissance in Europe!